Director of Purchasing
Company: Women Leading Travel & Hospitality
Posted on: May 20, 2023
The director of purchasing works closely with various
departments at Westin, Avenue of the Arts and The Anaheim Hotel in
sourcing products, supplies, materials and equipment; negotiates
the most cost-effective purchases according to the specifications;
gives advice to department heads on new trends of products and
supplies; manages inventory controls to meet departments' needs;
and will be in charge of creating a centralized purchasing program
for the hotels and supervising the operation and all employees in
the Purchasing and Storeroom.
- This position has 4 direct reports.
- You will be responsible for supervision of employee performance
and developmental coaching. This position carries out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies,
procedures and applicable laws.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the
employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance
criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific
performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives
on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating
performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary
terminating employees under your supervision for performance
- Will interview and hire all purchasing staff for opening of
Westin Anaheim Hotel.
- Oversee the implementation and compliance of the Avendra
procurement program for the hotels and corporate office.Other
- Manage the Birchstreet purchasing systems and be the company
expert for all system related issues, training, upgrades and its
effective use throughout the company.
- Prepare and analyze proposals and determine appropriate
selection of suppliers based on the company standards and
- Manages and audits inventory
- Negotiate cost effective purchases for all supplies and
services, while meeting all guidelines and quality
- Examine and review proposed products and services to determine
compliance with departmental specifications or standards, suggest
substitute items when beneficial.
- Analyze market conditions.
- Review of vendor/contractor history
- Review the requests and specifications recommended by
- Purchasing, coordination of FF&E and OS&E items as
required for capital projects.
- Primary focus and responsibility for the procurement process
for FF&E and OS&E for the Westin Anaheim Resort which is
under construction at this time and set to open in August 2020
- Be knowledgeable and provide guidance on shipping, logistics,
warehousing, customs and import rules/laws and processes.
- Standardize items in common use to eliminate unnecessary
variations/features and lower costs through bulk purchasing.
- Analyze trade journals, catalogues, directories and other
technical material with respect to market and price
- Initiate and implement research of new products and
- Conduct monthly/quarterly inventories.
- Review stock inventory levels and purchase patterns
- Maintain internal control and audit requirements
- Prepare necessary purchasing documents
- Check and approve purchase orders
- Maintain library of resource materials.
- Prepare/Update all records, log books, journals, involving
purchasing standards and procedures.
- Provide accounting staff with required approved
- Develop specific departmental goals and plans.
- Communicate departmental status to Financial Controller on a
determined periodical basis.
- Promote and maintain effective communication and interactions
with all departments.
- Continually strive to create a more professional, effective,
and productive department.
- Purchases must remain in line with budget and forecasted
- Maintain an Inventory turnover ratio within industry
- Order brand standard products unless you have written approval
- Send RFP's out for new quotes no less than once a year.
- Prepare par and inventory standards for all departments.
- Manage and maintain product returns and credits with the
- Ensure all hotel inventories are properly secured.
- Perform audits with hotel security and accounting staff.
- Dress in a professional business attire.PHYSICAL
REQUIREMENTS:While performing the duties of this job it will
- Must be able to tolerate temperature changes from hot to cold
and cold to hot.
- Must be able to tolerate noise and vibration and a variety of
physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts,
electrical currents, working on scaffolding and high places.
- Must be able to tolerate atmospheric conditions, such as fumes,
orders, dust, mists, gasses and/or poor ventilation.
- Sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Heavy work - Occasionally lift and/ or move up to 50lbs of
- Light work - Frequently lift and move up to 10lbsREQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of 3 years in hospitality with related purchasing
experience in a full-service hotel with 500 rooms.
- Complete knowledge and understanding of the hospitality
industry, purchasing policies and procedures.
- Proficiency working with various computer programs including
but not limited to Birchstreet and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven record of organization, detail-oriented, and able to
make productive and efficient decisions.
- Should have prior experience with Avendra or similar purchasing
- Must be able to travel to various properties.
Keywords: Women Leading Travel & Hospitality, Anaheim , Director of Purchasing, Executive , Anaheim, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...