Company: Hidden Variable Studios
Posted on: June 22, 2022
Hidden Variable is looking for a Game Designer to support our
F2P economy, systems, and live operations, as we continue to refine
the core experience and build new features within Skullgirls Mobile
and beyond. Your analysis, insight, and creativity will help create
in-game experiences which engage, surprise, and delight players.
You will work with interdisciplinary teams using every tool at hand
to the delight of millions of players around the world.
This position is located on-site at our Los Angeles office.
However, in light of the pandemic, all our team members are
currently working remote. When it becomes safe to do so, we will
return to the office. US citizenship or a valid visa is required to
The ideal candidate will reflect each of these key
- Mobile Savant - You are keenly aware of trends in mobile games
and play all the latest, greatest F2P games on phone or tablet...
especially the ones made by Hidden Variable!
- F2P Fanatic - In the fast changing world of F2P games, you know
the latest trends and tactics that can turn the mediocre into the
meteoric. You can speak to popular F2P titles and know what makes
- Smooth Operator - When a game launches, the work has only just
begun. You know how to maximize engagement with liveops, to satisfy
the ongoing needs of players, month after month.
- Bootstrapper - As a highly motivated individual, you are able
to excel in a fast paced environment, either autonomously or
- Hybrid Class - You possess a strong technical and theoretical
background and are able to conceive solutions to complex problems,
evangelize those solutions to the team, and then figure out the
most optimal way to execute on them.
- Raconteur - You are a clear, multidisciplinary communicator who
enjoys engaging in creative discourse with all members of the team.
You are as adept receiving feedback as you are in delivering
- Wellspring - You are a fount of new ideas. You can discover
solutions conceptually through rapid prototyping and are able to
clearly convey a vision to those around you.
- Metrics Minded - You are comfortable using data to identify
opportunities to improve the health of a game. You understand the
relevant audiences, and from this, calibrate your design expertise
to reflect those tastes.
Extras we hope to see in the most competitive candidates:
- Mobile Wrangler - This isn't your first rodeo. In addition to
having F2P design experience, you also have reps working on mobile
- Polymath - You have an insatiable hunger in a wide spectrum of
topics, which equips you with the tools to provide inspired ideas
and solutions, no matter the challenge.
- Agile Enthusiast - You have prior exposure with Agile
development practices and are no stranger to backlogs and
- Unity Veteran - You have familiarity using the Unity platform
and know your way around the editor and its subcomponents.
So, you know how to do a lot of stuff, but what do we expect from
- Architect, document, implement, and test features built for
iOS, Android, desktop, and console platforms.
- Support excellence in whatever you do.
- Respond to critical feedback in a professional and can-do
- Prototype and iterate rapidly in conjunction with other members
of the development team.
- Provide input and insight to the development team in the design
and implementation of new gameplay features.
- Maintain an unyielding fascination with video games.
- Unlimited PTO Policy - When it comes to sick and vacation days,
we don't believe in tracking the hours our employees work or don't
work. If you need to take time off - be it for date night, a
vacation, or even just a personal wellness day - we support you. We
go out of our way to create a guilt-free office environment. Our
goal is simply to create incredible products, which we believe is
best achieved when you don't have a manager looming over your
shoulder, tracking the minutes you are in or out.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans - We offer a generous yearly
stipend, and have several premium plans available from major health
care providers. Already have medical coverage? Keep the stipend as
an end of year bonus.
- Matching 401k - Send a portion of your salary towards
retirement, and we'll match a certain amount. Free money!
- Career Growth - Developing the skills and training to advance
in one's career is a shared responsibility. To that end, we
frequently compensate travel to conferences, fund tuition through
online or in person learning, and even reimburse game expenses
accrued (mobile or otherwise) to allow our teammates to maximize
- Frequent Celebrations - We work hard, but we like to let off
steam, too. You'll find us playing board games, video games,
trivia, and even the occasional field trip to an escape room or
other attraction around the city, all courtesy of Hidden
We believe diverse backgrounds and life experiences enable us to
collectively build better and more inclusive games. We encourage
applications from candidates from any background who are eager to
celebrate their unique perspective.
How to Apply?
Hopefully, by the time you've scrolled this far, you've realized
that we value high quality products and people who are passionate
about what they do for a living.
Ready to apply? Please send us an email with your resume, a cover
letter, and if applicable, a portfolio. List the position you're
applying for in the subject line and send us a message at
firstname.lastname@example.org. We can't wait to hear from you!
For more details, visit here:
Keywords: Hidden Variable Studios, Anaheim , Game Designer, Other , Anaheim, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!