Employee Relations Specialist
Company: Private university
Posted on: November 16, 2022
The Employee Relations Specialist will support the employee and
labor relations team by being primarily responsible for managing
and responding to workplace concerns through review, documentation
and fact-finding. This role will use data to identify trends in
employee relations topics across the university and make
recommendations for ways to proactively and preventatively address
employees' concerns. Acting with a high degree of integrity, the
Employee Relations Specialist will ensure that all cases assigned
to the employee and labor relations team are documented and acted
upon in a timely and thorough manner. In addition, the Employee
Relations Specialist will partner with managers and leaders across
the university, as well as other HR functions, to create programs
and initiatives that support positive relations among staff,
faculty, and the organization.
Minimum QualificationsThe candidate for the position of Employee
Relations Specialist must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in business, psychology, communications,
employment law, industrial relations, or another related
- Five or more years of experience in one or more of the
following fields: human resources, behavioral or social science, or
- Experience in areas of employment law and/or employee
- Sound judgment, high integrity, and the ability to handle
complex, highly sensitive and confidential information relating to
- Experience conducting fact-finding and tracking/reporting
employee relations grievances using a case management system.
- Knowledge of current major employment laws such as ADA, FMLA,
- Experience establishing collaborative initiatives with multiple
- Demonstrated excellence providing high level customer
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage time, prioritize
tasks, work independently and maintain confidentiality of all
clients and information.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, proven track
record of building strong collaborative relationships with
stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
- Experience utilizing a case management system (e.g.,
Preferred QualificationsThe ideal candidate for the position of
Employee Relations Specialist has the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in human resources, psychology, communications,
law, industrial relations or another related field, or Juris
Doctorate (JD) degree.
- Seven or more years of experience in one or more of the
following fields: human resources, behavioral or social science, or
- Experience in higher education and/or employment law.
- Knowledge of best practice procedures used to investigate and
resolve employee or workplace concerns including best practices as
they relate to reducing bias during the investigation process.
- Knowledge of leading thinking and best practices around the
management of employee performance with a focus on employee
relations and corrective action.
- Experience ensuring compliance with applicable laws and
- Ability to analyze data to look for trends and patterns.
- Ability to identify knowledge, skill and resource gaps and to
recommend related solutions utilizing industry trends.
- Track record of positive influence of department culture during
change through trust-building and inclusion.
- Ability to train and educate staff on existing/new policies,
practices and laws, emerging industry trends and ensure quality
baseline of department knowledge.
- SHRM Certification
Job ResponsibilitiesThe candidate for the position of Employee
Relations Specialist will be responsible for:
- Documenting and managing employee relations or workplace
concerns in a case management system and initiating the
fact-finding process. Conducting fact-finding in a deliberate,
thorough, and timely manner to determine appropriate resolution or
if further investigation is needed on any given case. Promptly
communicating fact-finding results and recommended corrective
actions to Manager, Employee Relations. Maintaining accurate and up
to date records and documentation in case management system at all
time. Responsible for ensuring each employee relations or workplace
concerns are documented and addressed regardless of the intake
method. Escalating employee concerns or grievances as necessary.
Engaging with employees regarding reasonable accommodation
requests, including interviewing employees, collecting appropriate
documentation, and evaluating requests.
- Providing strategic support, thought partnership, and coaching
to all levels of the organization to ensure the management of
employee performance with a focus on employee relations is top of
mind for all managers and unit/school leaders. Staying attuned to
organizational and operational changes across the university to
identify potential risks and develop plans to address
- Serving as point of contact and providing support, guidance and
direction to management and other university employees on the
management of employee performance with a focus on performance
improvement and corrective action matters. Assisting with the
development and delivery of appropriate feedback or
corrective/disciplinary actions across the university. Providing
rigorous data analysis and reporting solutions based on university
and unit/school needs, highlighting key trends in employee
relations to actively drive proactive solutions to improve employee
engagement, reduce risk, and minimize reactive work. Helping
develop target initiatives to address specific employee relations
issues related to that unit/school.
- Partnering closely with HR Partners and the Performance
Management team to identify trends in performance issues and action
plan to address. Helping facilitate educational workshops and
trainings for managers and broader university audiences on topics
related to employee relations. Ensuring open and consistent
communication with all other functional HR areas to drive alignment
and accountability. Partnering with Office of General Counsel as
needed. Preparing written responses to requests for information as
- Conducting routine data analysis and reporting to identify and
escalate key trends in employee relations issues to ensure
root-cause analyses are taking place and to enable and drive
proactive solutions. Designing, creating, and implementing
proactive programs, policies and procedures that improve employee
relations and contribute to a positive and productive working
environment. Maintaining accurate, confidential records regarding
all reported cases and fact-finding documentation.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of university policies
and practices, employment law, and other regulations to provide
advice, guidance, or clarification for ER inquiries. Maintaining
pulse on employment legal trends and new legislation. Identifying
and recommending appropriate process or technology improvements to
ensure effective and efficient fact-finding, resolution and
- Helping assess current employee relations policies and
procedures for potential bias and determine action plan to address.
Maintaining the highest level of integrity when managing employee
relations issues and managing reported cases. Promoting an
environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates
unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and
actions that uphold principles of our Code of Ethics. Ensuring that
legal and regulatory requirements are met in terms of employee
relations to minimize exposure to liability for the
- Supporting strategic organizational changes across the
university by supporting leaders and managers through the nuances
of employee relations-related issues.
- Performing other related responsibilities as requested and when
necessary. The University reserves the right to add or change
duties at any time.
Keywords: Private university, Anaheim , Employee Relations Specialist, Other , Anaheim, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!